Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Blog 3

When we look back in history we think about how horrible it was that six million Jews were killed under Hitler's rule. We never stop and think about the life of someone living in a concentration camp. Even if we did try to think about it, we couldn't even imagine how it felt to be there.

Arendt has different feelings about the people in the concentration camps. She believes that we will never get a true picture of what it was like back then. She thinks that the survivors of this aren't able to fully capture what happened. She says that they won't be able to believe that they survived and they would tell a story of another place. I both agree and disagree. They know exactly what happened to them. It just may be that it's so horrifying that some of their thoughts may be distorted.

Another thing she says is that the people were worse off than animals. The people were treated as scientific experiments. They didn't have feelings or thoughts. Their person was looked at as a thing. I agree with her. They didn't care for each individual person, they were looked at as a group.

Arendt also thought that the people were living a life after death. This means that their spirits were dead, but they were still alive physically. I also agree with this. They were stripped of everything that made them who they were. They were forced to work and then tortured. They weren't treated like human beings.

There were some great points brought up in this reading that I never thought about. Usually when we think about concentration camps we think of all the people who died. We don't think about how the camps were leading up to death.

2 comments:

Aya Elmallah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aya Elmallah said...

Sharnae your blog is very well written and to the point. I like how you added your insight and opinion to your answer. And I also agree that we never really think about what really happened that lead to all those death's, I just always thought everyone was tortured to death. But Arendt got us to see that how they really were treated.